Submitted: 01-09-2002 by jasper_reese@hotmail

I aquired my explorer through neglitic family members. It sat for about 7 years. The beautiful ash gunwhales were practically rotting off. The cane seats were anything but seats. Fortunatly the royalex was fine! I claimed it two years ago! Replaced the gunwhales with mahagony(ash and oak were too exspensive and hard to find in length), had the seats re-caned(a local antique expert did it for practically nothing). bought a new yoke. and reassembled it. On multiday river trips it can't be beat! extremely stable and can carry enough gear for weeks! Ee've also paddled class III with no problem. Open lakes are another story. it is often referred to as the mad river cow. It tracks great, but speed, it has not. Kayak paddles are used by both paddlers and other boats still move ahead with just bevertails. Call me weak, but 70lbs. is too much for portages. I own two kayaks and am sure the mad river will be around longer. I plan on keeping it around forever.