Submitted: 12-26-2001 by CC

I'm a 55 year old guy with lots of paddling experience who wanted something I could car top solo and fish both steelhead rivers and salt water inlets, without wincing every time the boat finish touches a rocky shore. I bought a Velocity Max with a full rudder in August 2001 and flat out love the boat. My Velocity has the glued foam padded seat and bulkheads. I've had a slight leakage on the rear hatch which might be more serious if I paddled in heavy waves for an extended time. My seat needed some adjusting which the dealer did cheerfully and immediately while I waited. Otherwise, great boat, 9.5.

I've paddled mostly down the Fraser River, stopping on sandbars to fish salmon. The Velocity paddles nicer with a pair of heavy salmon for cargo :-)

I paddled Ross Lake, from Canada down to the North Cross highway in Washington, State, and had plenty of room for all the camping gear plus room for more. I did that trip in an afternoon and morning, and never dropped the rudder. For me, the boat tracks like a dream and I have rarely used the rudder. In river eddylines I expected the fluted hull to give me fits to turn, but the boat is quick and almost ignores the grabbing cross currents while obeying my paddle directives. At the lower end of Ross Lake I carried boat and gear up the trail to the highway, a harder task than I want to do again, unless I build some sort of carrying yoke for the boat. I'd guess it is 3/4 mile total carry and up nearly 1000 vertical feet, with most of the elevation gain in a steep switchback section. However, this shows what can be done with a lightweight boat.

Talic: