Submitted: 12-20-2001 by RK

I purchased a new 2001 Merlin XT this year, my third kayak, for use as a evening fitness boat that I could leave on the car over night on occasion. It is light and short enough to easily toss on the car. Responsive, a carver with the well defined V shape, yet good stability. A blast to paddle in wind waves, a jumper and surfer, leans and handles well. The hull seems to slide well on launches like plastics (isn't as gougy as fiberglass) but has the glide of glass on the water. It has enough capacity for weekend trips but you would have travel light for longer trips. I dont like the weenie deckline clips (which break) and the handles with the little velcro holders and the cockpit keyhole is a little tight in front getting in but seems to have a tighter knee brace feel when you are seated. Overall a great boat providing diversity to my little fleet. When a take a friend paddling, I use the Merlin.