Submitted: 12-11-2001 by Gary

My weight is 145lbs and I paddle a FG HV version mostly in the Great Salt Lake. This is a great boat. As you've read it's very fast. It responds well to proper paddling techniques and pretty well to bad ones. It handles 4ft. waves and chop easily. It will broach if you let it get that far away from you. And I've found that once in a broach proper technique is important in rough conditions. But, isn't this always the case. I can turn my Extreme in a very short distance when leaned. It tracks well for a long boat with this much rocker. The rudder works well and is good to have at times. I don't use it very often but in some wind conditions it's nice. I haven't noticed it being a very wet ride. If so it's usually been my fault. I feel very stable in it unless I turn to retrieve items off the back deck. I've paddled most of CDs line and have never found this hatch system to leak. I'm very satisfied with my choice of boats. My wife was more comfortable with the straighter tracking Solstice GTS. Glad to give my opinion to any questions about these two boats.

Freedom Hawk Kayaks: