Submitted: 12-11-2001 by canoeman69

I paddle a Cascade on everything from flatwater to Class III drops, and absolutely love my boat. I find it stable enough to stand up when I need to stretch my legs and very responsive whenever I am running technical drops requiring fast maneuverability. Last weekend, on the Lower Guadalupe River (Texas) I paddled it 14 miles in about 2.5 hours over a typical Texas pool-and-drop river. It moved smoothly in flatwater and I was able to make excellent time without much effort. I even got air flying off a big rock at the bottom of Clutter and Rock Garden.

The Cons: I have left too much Royalex on rocks, and wish the material were a little heavier and less abrasive. The biggest drawback is that it is discontinued and you have to look hard to find a new one these days.

The Pros: This boat does everything I have asked of it, and more. It has never made me swim and had been a lot of fun paddling solo, as well as tandem with my fiancee who is not a paddler.

While it does blow around in the wind, so does just about every boat I have ever paddled including my 16' Buffalo, Old Town Penobscot, Old Town Discovery Scout, Old Town Appalachain, and Mohawk XL-12 and XL-13.

I use an 8' kayak paddle and find that I have instant and easy ability to control direction with rudder strokes as well as sweep strokes when the boat does begin to blow around in the wind.

All things considered, it is my favorite boat to paddle - well suited to multi-day downriver trips on Class II - III rivers and absolutely a blast on those drops and turns. I love my Cascade!