Submitted: 12-03-2001 by alinuxguru
The Kayak I used on it was a 60 pound, 15 foot Walden Passage. The vehicle I have it installed on is a 1997 Chevy Blazer with roof rack.

Pros: 1. As a portage system it is first rate. It is maneuverable and easy to manage. 2. Securing the Kayak to the top of my Chevy Blazer is as advertised. It is a one person job and I did not even break a sweat. My advice is to watch the video first before actually trying it with a kayak. 3. If you require a roof rack system and a portage system this can be a cheaper solution. When compared to the price of a Portage pal http://www.portagepal.com or a roller loader http://www.rollerloader.com *AND* a set of Thule bars this solution is only slightly more and a better all-around solution.

Cons: 1. The rack system did not install directly to my Blazer rack. I had to spend additional money on Thule bars. 2. The EZ Top sits on top of the Thule Bars which raised the EZ Top rack several inches higher than I would have liked. If you have a low garage door and a large SUV you will not be able to drive directly into your garage and hoist the kayaks up. Fortunately for me, I have the space in my garage to leave the kayaks on the portage frame.

Final Analysis: If you need a good portage system and plan to use a vehicle rack then this is a great integrated solution. If you kayak alone, then this is a great one-man system to get your kayak on and off of your roof rack. On a scale of 1 to 10 I give it a 9 (minus one for cost).