Submitted: 11-28-2001 by PraiseHm

I spent a great deal of time making the decision to purchase a kayak. I knew that I wanted a boat I would not grow out of and wanted the most for my hard-earned dollars. I came across QCC while searching the Internet. I was impressed with the boats and decided to call.

My first conversation was with Phil. What impressed me was that he gave me the names of people local to me who had purchased QCC kayaks! This gave me the opportunity to contact them and get a chance to see and paddle the boat I was thinking of buying. This was a tremendous help in my decision-making. The only mistake I made at this point was not immediately ordering the 600XL after I paddled it. There was no reason for me to continue debating.

Finally, I took the plunge and ordered the kayak. Now the hardest part was to wait for delivery. The kayak came as described. I took the boat to Monterey Bay Kayaks, my local kayak dealer, who looked it over. They were very impressed with the construction of the 600XL. The bulkheads were cleanly sealed and there was no leakage. They liked the recessed deck fittings and the high quality rudder. They were pleased with the rubber coating on the rudder cables (sounded like they had cut their hands on wires before). The only problem was that they identified some minor freight damage. I was concerned. The next day I contacted Steve and told him what we found. He immediately told me that they would build me another boat! I was shocked. Their web page said that they stood behind their product but this was putting their money where their html text was.

While I waited for the new kayak, I joyfully paddled the original one. It was exactly as described. As a novice paddler, I knew this was an advanced design so I was not surprised with my initial insecurity. I kept paddling and took a 2 hour lesson to improve my skills. Each time out, my confidence grew. I am still amazed at how well the boat cuts through the water. I kayak mainly in Monterey Bay and have been in a wide range of situations from calm seas to 5- 8+ foot swells. The QCC 600XL handles them all!

I have found the cockpit to be very comfortable. I normally paddle from 2 to 3 hours at a time. When I first started paddling, I found my left leg kept falling asleep. I told this to Steve, at QCC, who suggested I pull the seat pad forward. Since that minor change, I have not had any problems. The greatest part is that I take the boat out of the water, put it on my shoulder and carry it up the beach! I'm very glad I purchased Kevlar. It allows me the independence to paddle whenever I want.

I would recommend QCC to anyone looking for a kayak. I am very pleased with my 600XL. QCC enabled me to get a magnificent kayak that will last me for many years to come at a price I can afford.

Suspenz: