Submitted: 11-28-2001 by DM

All around good boat, wheels are a must, deceivingly light for it's 14+ length. I launch from the surf and was astounded at the boats stability and tracking in the surf. The boat launched in 5 ft swells easily, though rather unforgiving to much lateral movement, promptly dumping me into the surf. Remounting the kayak in the surf was a little tricky at first, the boat takes a minimal amount of water through the hatch upon multiple rollovers and isn't even enough to be considered, provided it stays on. A paddle leash is a must, and you're an idiot if you launch through the surf without a jacket and a helmet as well. Once I got the hang of the surf getting out past the breakers was only a matter of timing and position and the boat tracks beautifully. In calm water it is extremely stable and I was able to maneuver about easily and even open the hatch, and enjoy the day, drybags with a way to secure them to the front of the boat are a must unless you want all of your stuff getting bashed around your hull, and the good backrest is recommended, trust me. If your looking to do some hanging out, fishing, touring, camping, you can easily haul a lot of gear with it and it can take swells, provided the rider can too. As far as surfing, it's too long; unless you're really good you're dipping the front end and high siding it. I try to time the waves so they break right in front of me by back-paddling up them when they are about to break and either be behind or on top of them when they break and follow the white water right up the beach, but overall a very versatile boat. I actually want another one.