Submitted: 11-26-2001 by RG

The Nordkapp Jubillee w/ built in skeg and knee tube is an inspiring boat to be in. I have the three piece version for travel. The boat needs to be laid over for turning. Directional stability is excellent. Workmanship is outstanding. Boat is extremely fast. Quartering seas (3-6 ft) make the boat lively, but secure. Quartering or beam winds do make the nose come about if they blow harder than 25 knots but far less than any boat I've yet been in. Truly water tight hatches, even after extended rolling and sculling. Low rear deck and recessed cockpit rim make lay back rolls excellent.

Cargo room: Whose asking? are you a dual burner coleman guy with the 4 man tent? you'll suffer. Are you a backpacker with the Ray Jardine "Go Lite" mentality? You'll swim with room. I am confident I can take a go lite approach in arid country and still have room for a ten day trip. In water plentiful country it can go in the 3-4 week length of time. That question is so subjective it depends on the personal camper's habits. I'm a backpacker and I go to look at what is there, not at all the crap I can surround myself with. I still have room for photography gear, though. Hey everyone has at least two Achilles Heels.

3 piece version for travel is built like a tank with glassed in threaded shanks, dual gasket system that needs to be very tight, and stainless hardware. It took 30 minutes to assemble and the same to disassemble. longer head on 17mm ratchet would have cut 10 minutes off that time. Costly to get through airport: $225.00 USD for three bags. Skycaps or "porters" are necessary because they have the carts large enough to get it to the curb. Truly, it is no folder in ease of transportation. It requires larger vehicles at destination to get you to water. It was such a spendy, logistical hassle to bring on a simple week long cruise I may not bring it for many more of those trips, I'll sell the one piece Nordkapp and buy a used Khat's for those trips. I'll save the 3 piece Nordkapp for the longer trips where it will be worth it. The boat is a ten; the three piece concept is a 5.