Submitted: 11-26-2001 by Joann

I got my Swifty in Aug. 2000. I had been debating between a one-man canoe (Hornbeck) and a kayak as my front yard is The Racquette River (S.Colton, N.Y.) There are rapids and a quiet bay in front and then more. I presently own 2 Canoes- a Lincoln (17 ft. nice canoe and have had many hours on the river with it.) however my hubby has lost interest and it is difficult to load on a car by yourself. The other is a Coleman which I let my Bed & Breakfast guests use as it is indestructible, The Racquette is a bony river. I have been paddling for 50 of my 60 years. I also own an old Penn Yen which needs work. My first hubb ad I spent many hours camping on the Adirondack Lakes with an old Adirondack guide boat. We would pack everything in it and head out a lake to find a spot to camp. We both loved that boat. A real workhorse and very stable. Back to the Swifty. I biked one day with a group and got to try the Swifty. I liked it. It was comfortable to sit in and went well also maneuvered easily. That was Sat. Sunday after church, I went to EMS in Lk. Placid, tried some others including an otter (uncomfortable). I had taken a friend. We both wanted one. We had to go to Syracuse the next week to get them. The following Fri. evening another friend tried mine and on Saturday she bought a Walden. I had started something. This summer we took over the river with seven kayaks and a Hornbeck. I love the way my Swifty performs. It is a fun Kayak. I like it's stability. It goes well in the rapids and I have had a lot of fun doing that. I am the only one brave enough to do that. The price was right. Price was one of the deciding factors and what you got for that price. It is a good value. However, I found myself lagging behind as the fleet grew. Some of the others are about 12 to 13 feet. I now have a second Kayak- a Loon 138. I still take "Babo", as I call her, out when alone or if a friend wants to try kayaking and it will be perfect for grandchildren or guests.