Submitted: 11-26-2001 by AEW

12 months of happy ownership see me as a continued happy Magellan paddler. I know that there are lighter, faster, tighter Kayaks available and I have had the chance to sample some. But I also know that fit and feel can be very subjective and reviews can only express opinion in this. I find the Magellan an absolute joy to paddle in a range of conditions - from the local lake to rivers to coastal hops in mixed conditions. I still can't find a better Poly Kayak for such a range of uses.

I have had no problems with leaks or any other "kayak quality" issues. I beleive that the newer Magellans (my vintage) had welded bukheads versus glued ones one of old. I suspect that the reviewers with leaks had the earlier guled ones. Everything works and well. My upgraded, thicker, deck cords and personal upgrade of the seat pads made all the difference to comfort. I haven't had problems with the Poly deforming or dinting due to my storing the Kayak with slings, transporting it with specific Thule Kayak cradles and just taking care. I have seen the effect and learned that such proper care and handling is the fix. So once again I give the Magellan a high rating. For value, performance at that value, and jack-of-all-trades" function it is a fine choice.