Submitted: 11-20-2001 by seakayak_nc

I bought a new Blackwater last week and took it out on its first trip Saturday down the Black River in Eastern NC. This is a lazy slow moving river. The boat paddles fine and does what it is designed to do and that is go slow in slow rivers. I liked the weight (45lbs), didn't like the blunt nose, which pushes a lot of water if you try to paddle fast and sounds like battleship plowing water. I liked the skeg, it seemed to keep the boat tracking ok dead ahead and when raised it allowed for quick turns. I didn't like the seat. I had to pad it with a towel and put towels under my thighs after about an hour of sitting. I liked the color..blue and red and I liked the hatch and bulkhead which as far as I can tell is not leaking.

This boat does exactly what I wanted it to do.. be short, go slow and be stable. If I want distance or speed I will paddle either my Necky Kyook or my Wilderness Systems Sealution XL (composite). If you want a light weight easy to maneuver slow boat that is stable and fun to paddle on lazy rivers, small creeks or other small bodies of water I recommend it. Price was right $500 plus tax. Seems well made save for the seat which is a punishment chair.