Submitted: 11-05-2001 by Dean Juntunen

I've been impressed with pert near every Ocean Kayak that I've test-paddled, but I love the Yahoo because it fills a niche for me. I am a paraplegic, and cannot safely use any kayak designed for white water except the Yahoo or Perception Torrent, to my knowledge. Its stability is very strong. Plus, if I dump it, I just fall off. Since I lack trunk control, an eskimo roll is out of the question. Nope, a boat like the Yahoo is the only white water boat I can safely and effectively use.

With its pronounced rocker, the Yahoo loves to turn. If you plan to do flat water paddling, this is not your boat. It doesn't like to go straight at all. But put it in wilder water, and it excels. It'll spin on a dime and leave nine cents change, regardless of current. I feel totally confident in Class II white water with the Yahoo, which I never expected as a paraplegic, and even Class III isn't that bad. I don't mess with Class IV or higher.

Also, the Yahoo is a great boat for playing in breaking waves on Lake Superior. The knee tree really holds me on the boat even if I get it up on a pretty high edge. The only reason this boat doesn't get a 10 is that you will always get a very wet butt in it, so wear a wet suit in colder water.