Submitted: 11-05-2001 by James

After fishing out of just about everybody else's "fishing" kayaks I thought the pudgy little Mallard would be a farce. But... Not only does it have a very roomy cockpit and nice flat decks for gear storage, but it really handles some pretty tough water really well. I have fished from a Loon, The WS Pungo and the Walden Scout. The Mallard beats them all hands down. So easy to rig and again the cockpit is so roomy. The seat is very comfortable if you add a strap from side to side and around the back (that little toggle strap they use won't hold the back upright enough for me).

I have taken mine through class 3 rapids and the raised bow just pops up and stays up. I know it's not a whitewater boat but it sure handles the rought stuff. The Mallard is a funny looking little craft, but worth its weight in gold for play or fishing. I don't use my other, more expensive, kayaks any more.