Submitted: 10-29-2001 by Chris

I've had my Carolina for about 6 or 9 months now and untill today had ontly paddled it on calm days. It was a good boat. It tracked well even though I was too cheap to buy a rudder. I took it out today in a 3 foot chop and 20 knot winds and I really got a feel for the boat. First, the boat cuts through the wave effortlessly, but I would strongly suggest a sprayskirt and waterproof paddling jacket for anything more than a ripple (perhaps a little more floatation in the bow compartment would help?)It tracked okay heading into the seas and wind but when I was riding waves back in and even just normal paddling in a following sea left me wishing i had sprung for a rudder although it really didnt surprise me. The boat handles just fine in tight places with a little boathandling skill.

The hatches on the 2001 model are plenty large and havent leaked a drop so far. Im 6'2" and would have liked to see another notch in the footbrace adjustment. The cockpit opening is very roomy and gives me confidence should I get into a situation demanding a wet exit. This boat is extremely stable; Ive rolled it pretty far in its side and it gets harder and harder to flip the farther you tip it. As a boatbuilder and commercial fisherman, I would favor a more distinct chine although not a full on hard chined hull. Good boat but not perfect.