Submitted: 10-22-2001 by cc

Recently purchased the Pelican Explorer at a large sporting goods store. Have used this canoe 8 or 10 times now, and I am very disappointed. There is not enough clearance beneath the bow seat to get your feet under it, therefore the bow person can't get into the essential kneeling position (even my 13 year old son cannot get his feet under!)Pelican obviously cut way too many corners with this product. They bought these hulls from Coleman, and left out the aluminum keelson and aluminum support structure that Coleman used in its seats. Instead, Pelican put in a plastic liner, and sandwiched flotation foam between the hull and liner. However, without the aluminum keelson, the boat bottom flexes severely. I am trying to come up with a fix for this problem. If I cannot, the boat is worthless. It looks good, and the Ram-X hull is tough, but even as cheap as it was ($279.00), its not worth it.