Submitted: 10-22-2001 by S. O.

I'm new to kayaking, but not to canoeing/sailing. I wanted something easily transportable in the back of my Ford Ranger pickup. The Loon 100 was on sale at REI coop for $369, and I've been really pleased with it. I'm about 190 lbs and 5' 10". I use it in the marina at Marina Del Ray, CA and also out on the ocean for coastal cruising. It works just fine for that, although the spray skirt is necessary to avoid wave slops getting inside. Even though new to kayaking, I had little if any difficulty keeping it on an even keel. No spills of any kind so far, even in wakes from (slow moving) 90-100' motor cruisers and fairly heavy chop at the marina breakwater. In a word, I would say "ideal". REI advised I try a 230 paddle, and I'm very glad I didn't get something shorter. I would like, in fact, to try a longer paddle.