Submitted: 10-15-2001 by tflanagan

I just bought a 169 last month. First I wanted to learn how to lift/carry it by myself. Took a little doing (a Wenonah owners manual was pretty helpful), but now I feel OK with it, although I plan to get yoke pads (By the way, I'm a 42 year old man, 6 feet tall). Being new to canoeing, I took it out a couple times with my kids on a small lake. To me it seemed a little tippy with the kids shifting around, but then we practiced leaning it over in shallow water, and it had good secondary stability. Then towards late September, a friend and I took it on the Yellowstone River near Big Timber, Montana. The river flow was near record lows due to drought (about 1000 cubic feet per second), which made for some interesting paddling through short rapids, scraping over rocks in the shallows, etc. that would normally be drowned out by higher flows. We were kind of learning along the way, and at one point took in about 100 pounds of water by paddling though a standing wave. Afterward I kind of wished I'd gotten a Tripper, since it's bow depth is 25 inches versus the 23 inches for the 169. But I also understnd that the Crosslink is more abrasion resistant than the Royalex, which is important around here. Also, the 169 is 5 inches shorter than the Tripper, which is probably good for smaller rivers. Anyway, I'm glad I bought it, and I just got the book "Expedition Canoeing" by Cliff Jacobsen (2001 printing) and he had good things to say about the Discovery series, especially the 169. He says "performance on the water is about the same" as the "venerable" Tripper, which he calls a "top expedition canoe." Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting more experience, and trying my 169 on the Missouri, the Smith, the north Fork of the Flathead, and Yellowstone Park. One final quote from Mr. Jacobson - "If you want a good strong boat at a very low price, a Disco is the way to go.'