Submitted: 10-13-2001 by Pete DuBrule

I purchased my boat in 1985,late in the season and at a significant discount due to severe mildew on the wood. It was a toss-up between it and a Columbia. I made the right choice! To date we have paddled in NH, VT, ME, NY, along the coast of MA, NC and SC. The boat has been used in every condition from fast river (no whitewater tho') to lakes and the Atlantic. The design is fast, very fast and I have found the Canadienne to be very stable through the complete range of roll. Although the boat is made of fiberglass, it only weighs 75 lbs which makes it reasonable for carrying. 1985 was the last year that they made the boat with the rotomolded gunwales and decks. Not real pretty but they've worn like steel! No complaints with the boat; wouldn't trade it for anything 'cause it does everything so well. One note however since some will be refinishing their boats about now. The marine enamel that Old Town sells for the purpose is really not the way to go. I don't know who made it for them but it just does not last. Spend the bucks and use a good marine epoxy like Awlgrip or Interthane and only have to do it once! Paddle on!