Submitted: 10-12-2001 by jsmarch
After carefully reading reviews and paddling a variety of boats, including the Cape Horn, Perception Carolina, Dagger Magellan, Necky Looksha IV, I settled on the Capella RM as my first single. At a beam of 22" and an emphasis on secondary over initial stability, it was a boat to grow into. Having done so over the past year, I am more than ever convinced that the Capella likely is the best plastic boat on the market. You wear the boat, bracing/edging/J lean turns are easy, even in 10-15 mph winds the boat is mananagable without the skeg down so it is great for working on technique, and (am learning as I write) it should be easy to roll. The seat is incredibly comfortable and the workmanship first class. Importantly, the Capella is at home in open ocean, lakes and narrow blackwater rivers. Plenty of room for 2-3 day trips and the hatches and bulkheads are watertight. The Capella came highly recommended--all the staff at the shop I most often frequent in NC paddle it in preference to other boats, at least those that haven't been able to afford a P&H Quest.