Submitted: 06-12-1999 by STW

I tried a LOT of boats out before I settled on the Capella (plastic). It is very much an "english-style" boat. It has a skeg, not a rudder. Mine is plastic, but it is available in fiberglass as well (but not on my budget). The cockpit felt like it was custom-designed for me (5-10, 175 lbs). The back of the cockpit is quite low which is great for rolling etc., but maybe not so great for looong trips. I have no trouble keeping up with most people in fiberglass boats. The Capella feels quite stiff for a plastic boat. It is a bit tippy at first, but the more time I spent in it, the more I liked it. Really good secondary stability. It is 16.5 feet long but only 22" wide. Pretty sleek! It tracks pretty well even with the skeg deployed. With the skeg down, it's like being on train tracks. However, even with the skeg down, it'll turn well if you lean it. It came with great thigh braces! One quibble: the bungies behind the cockpit were not well designed for doing paddle-float re-entries. But, with just a little bit of ingenuity, I have re-threaded the system and I'm all set. I heard it a lot from various people while doing my search: "the capella is the bestof the plastic mold boat designs." I guess I agree.