Submitted: 10-02-2001 by Nancy10

I purchased a Cape Horn Pro (Kevlar) 3 months ago. The multi-chine hull performs well and provides good control of the kayak. The front of the cockpit is higher than it needs to be and catches more wind than I would like. The hatches leak a significant amount even in small waves. The dealer feels the factory installed rudder is the main source of leaks. Overall I would give the design an 8 out of 10. The reason for a lower overall rating of 7 has to do with quality. For a kayak that costs over $3,000 I do not expect to find rivets missing (one side of the seat back was never rivited in place) and I do not expect parts to fall off with normal, even gentle use. The vinyl trim around the hatch covers is affected by hot sun which causes the glue to almost liquify. Wilderness Systems has a good design but needs to work on quality control.

Botetourt County Tourism: