Submitted: 09-27-2001 by shoner
The Tupelo is a fun boat if you weigh less than 150 pounds. The boat is set up to be paddled like a kayak but I find this arrangement to be unsatisfactory. For a while I just used the back rest as a kneeling thwart. It works okay but it makes your center of gravity too high and you become stern heavy. Better to straddle a dry bag stuffed with a blanket or position a kneeling thwart four inches in front of the back rest.

Despite its diminutive size, the Tupelo has tremendous secondary stability. You will ship water in over the gunnels before tipping. When swamped however it's nearly impossible to shakeout and reenter. I've glued those swimming noodles in the bow and stern and have secured an inner tube behind the thwart to function as an air bag. I've done this because I have enjoyed this boat in the Atlantic ocean and busting up ice as the lake freezes in early winter. My only complaint is that they didn't design he boat with another couple inches of depth. It's just too shallow to get really crazy with.

BassYaks: