Submitted: 09-18-2001 by robert

Just over 37 miles now with this paddle and here is the report. Weight: Boss! you gotta love composites for weight savings...weighed it at home to see truth in advertising and Sup.Kay.Inc is right on. Price: $300ish. Flutter: none! but I tilt the paddle as instructed by Greg Stamer to gain the extra 0.5mph with no added effort. Effort: Impressive, much shorter loom than the Betsie Bay which translates into more paddle and more power. Rolls/Sculls/Braces: typically easy as expected with a Greenland style paddle.

The Unexpected: a funky/funny ringing noise when you tap the paddle against almost anything solid and this curious grating sound as it dips into the water. Negatives: Black is only color option is hard to find sometimes in camp! The loom is a bit big in diameter for me (but the composite grips surprisingly well considering a slick appearance). I can't consider the price a negative since I love to paddle and this is one of my fav. hobbies and that the paddle should last many many years with: Positives: no maintanence. Awesome power to weight ratio.

Compared to these other paddles I own: Betsie Bay---no comparison, in every catagory except for my personal grip size. Cricket---the Cricket is my choice over the composite for 90 percent of my paddling because of the fit and the simple beauty of it...also, hard pressed I would say that the shoulders on the Cricket are softer and a little more comfortable...and there is that allure of wood....if you are going Greenland go Cricket-Period! If you can afford another pre-manufactured GS (Greenland style) go with the Sup.Kay.Inc model which happens to be the only composite Greenland Style paddle on the market!

Paddling.net T-Shirt Sale: