Submitted: 09-12-2001 by woodjef

Despite the egotisitical, arrogant and elitist attitude of the previous reviewer, I like this boat. Both my wife and I are intermediate level paddlers and have paddled many other boats. We both find the Magellan to be a good all around boat, tracks reasonably well, turns quite well if you are not afraid to lean a bit, and will handle waves/winds with the rudder down. I am sure that there are better boats for the self styed 'expert', but I am also sure that most folks would be happy with this boat for the real-life paddling that they do. I have used it for weekend trips, and had no problem fitting all my gear in it. The fact that it is a bit loose in the tracking department is also the reason that it will turn well.

High points: quick turning with a bit of a lean, tracks reasonably, good spped for its size (long waterline), good initial and fairly good final stability. My hatches and bulkheads do not leak, but some of the deck fitting screws will unless you take them out and seal with Lexal. Plastic is quite sturdy and has shown no tendency to dent, even after spending four warm days and nights strapped on the Jeep.

Low points: tight foot room for size 12s, needs rudder in higher winds & waves if not going directly into the wind. And yes, it is a bit heavy on land, but is still lively on the water.