Submitted: 09-12-2001 by Okole

I am a beginning kayaker though I have white water rafted (class III) for over 10 yrs. I recently did a no no, bought a Dagger BayouII without trying it first. (I know,I know) I bought what the local dealer had left at this late date. On our first trip, went less than 1/2 mile when grazed an upstream snag and broached, kayak ended up uoside down pinned under the snag. Freed the boat after 40 min. struggle. Continuing, we had to cross about 1 1/2mi. of lake with a following sea, swells about 10-12" with 6" chop on top. Boat did not track well and each time a swell passed, at about 20 degrees off the stern, it put a quart or so of water over the gunwales. I thoought we were going to sink in sight of our take out. Needless to say, the boat went back to the dealer the next day, and I am now looking seriously at a Keowee III. If it is anything like a Keowee II we borrowed to try, it will be a much better boat. That Bayou II is a DANGEROUS BOAT in anything but calm water.