Submitted: 09-06-2001 by Paul

I have an older SeaYak that I picked up used - it is still in decent shape but has had the seat back removed and replaced with a whitewater style backband. I am 5'9", 155 lbs - I find the boat to be comfortable for long paddling. It handles well and I like the the secondary stability. Overall, though, I am not very happy with this boat. I find it tracks very poorly without the rudder down(pulls to the left consistently with all paddlers - regardless of lefty or righty). Other than that, it turns okay but not very fast. I suspect it may be better suited to heavier paddlers. I found that it tracked substantially better when I took it out loaded - so maybe it is just a true touring kayak that needs a load. Other than that, I have found it to be awkward out of the water but I suspect all similar boats are as well (weight isn't distributed so well). I'm planning to sell it and buy a smaller boat (Dagger Baja, Percep. Corona, etc.).

YakClips: