Submitted: 08-30-2001 by Larry

I just spent 11 days in the Boundary Waters with a rented Magic, and was very pleased. To put my comments in perspective, this is the only flatwater solo boat I have paddled any distance. However, using a bent shaft paddle, I was able to keep up with my sons in a We-no-nah Champlain paddling up wind, though not down wind.

Most impressive, was the trim and workmanship in this boat. Before this trip, I would not have considered purchasing such a boat with aluminum gunnels. However this boat had the best aluminum gunnels I have seen on a boat. The pop rivets were concealed and the aluminum was nicely anodized in a light slate gray color.

The hull was Bell's Kev-Crystal, unpigmented. The fabric in this lay-up alternates black strands with natural colored kevlar strands. This provides a much more pleasing look than natural kevlar alone. From a distance it gives the boat a somewhat green color.

All that detracted from the experience were the rather ugly plastic end caps, and a seat which was hung to low (on this particular boat) for me to slide my feet under when kneeling.

Thunder Bay Tourism: