Submitted: 08-30-2001 by Dave

(5' 10" 170 lb kayaker from Florida) Purchased an orange plastic Looksha IV year 2000 model earlier this year (2001). It was an easy decision because of the boat's performance in tracking and its quick turning response to a lean. Other boats I demo'd included WS Cape Horn 14 and 17, Perception (Shadow, Sole and Carolina), Current Design (Storm and Breeze). The Looksha was my preference because of its secure secondary stability and its relatively low foredeck.

I got it for use mostly in the rivers of North Central Florida, and I must mention that the sales people tried to talk me out of buying the 17 foot long Looksha ... they said that it was too long for use in rivers. They said I should get a Looksha Sport. I'm glad I didn't listen to that advice because after taking it through some very tight spots, I must say that the 17' length has not been a factor at all (except when the river is less than 17' foot wide!). I find that the boat is only slightly more difficult to turn then a shorter Looksha Sport (my wife has a Looksha Sport so I know it also). On a scale of 1-10 I can't give my boat a 10 because the seat isn't very comfortable, the carry handles are uncomfortable and there is no thigh padding (unlike Perception boats).

Additionally, I will mention that it cartops just fine on my Dodge Caravan with Thule racks and Yakima Mako saddles. The Mako saddles were quite a lengthy purchase decision ($220 for 2 boats from rackwarehouse.com) but they are perfect for these boats and they have integrated straps. Also, I will mention that the 2000 model does not come with a padded seat and it is very uncomfortable. I e-mailed Necky, and they shipped me a padded seat for free (apparently the 2001 model comes with a padded seat). Good customer service definitely!

Yak Pads: