Submitted: 08-28-2001 by ladams

I know this is running contrary to the conclusions of some VERY qualified reviewers, but for some very good reasons. First, it didn't fit me. Nothing they could do made the thigh braces anywhere near acceptable. Second, though I'm an accomplished canoeist, I'm new to kayaking, which requires a different skill set. I do NOT have a good snap, nor am I very good yet at putting a boat on edge. This boat demands those skills more than any other boat I paddled. I would grow into it, yes, but I need a boat I can enjoy to some extent in the meanwhile, and this wasn't it. Since the boat I paddled had no rudder, I didn't have one to fall back upon when I got tired of just working to develop my skills.

Then there's the fit and finish. For my money, I want a boat that not only paddles well but also is aesthetically pleasing. To MY taste, Kodiak was not. The matte finish was not appealing to me. The boat I paddled was multi-colored, and looked a little as though it was unintentionally so. She was NOT graceful looking. The deck rigging can only be described as cheesy. Now I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but it just didn't do it for me.