Submitted: 08-27-2001 by Julia Hook

I am new to sea kayaking and my second- hand fibreglass greenlander is the first boat I've owned. I've had it for a year now, and used it in a variety of sea and lake conditions, though none really rough. It's narrow dimensions and round cock pit provide the best fit (as a wee female) of any kayak I've been in, with the added advantage of not taking in much water during capsize. It is very fast, making me appear to be a better paddler than I actually am, and enabling me to keep up with (or leave behind) most people I've paddled with. It seems to handle better when loaded, especially in wind. Probably due to my inexperience I do find the tendancy to weathercock in wind a bit tricky at times, and the skeg is invaluable for this. It's very stable, and seems to surf well, a little too well at times! The only poor point are the rubber hatch covers, which despite all efforts to treat properly, appear to let in bit of water after prolonged drenchings. It certainly attracts a lot of attention and it's traditional style is a treat for the eyes!