Submitted: 08-22-2001 by backpaddle

I have paddled the Anadyr for about 6 months. The kayak was delivered new to my doorstep for the amazing price of $1700. I must prefix this review by saying that my first kayak was a CD Storm, and I have paddled few other models. I bought the Anadyr sight unseen, but with many email exchanges with the retailer. I am 6'2" with long legs and find that I do not fit comfortably into most thin boats. The Anadyr provides a surprisingly large amount of leg room with gently rounded deck that allows the knees to spread out the full width of the kayak. Although the midsection of the hull is fairly round, the bow and stern have a deep vee shape that acts as a built in skeg. Because of this, I have found that the Anadyr tracks great in high winds and chop. No need for a rudder or skeg. The boat seems plenty fast, but with the upswept bow and stern, the water line is much shorter than the 17.5' length, and is probably typical of many 16' boats. Initial and final stability are adequate, and it rolls smoothly. The seat is comfortable and it has plenty of storage space. My only complaint is that the cockpit length is a little too short and makes getting in and out a tight squeeze for a tall person. I also added additional deck fittings and bungies. The importer, Splashdance, mailed additional deck fittings free of charge, and the installation was simple. I would give this kayak a 10 out of 10 rating in terms of value for your money. It is a good performing kayak at a terrific price. However, if money is not an issue, other fiberglass kayaks will provide better finishing touches such as in the deck rigging and cockpit padding.