Submitted: 08-20-2001 by Dan

I have been looking for a boat for quite some time now, reading all of the product reviews, and going out to the rental yards to try them all out. Originally I was looking for a plastic version of the traditional 17' expedition type (Eclipse, Cape Horn, etc....). Then one day I saw an ad for a used Kevlar Vagabond for a great price. I had never paddled one, but the price was so good that I figured it would make an excellent spare boat for my friends to use. Well guess what......I fell in love with the vagabond! I could not believe how nice the boat fit my body (I'm fairly large at 6'3" 225Lbs), it accelerates better than any of the larger boats I tried, can maintain a speed nearly as fast as the 17' boats, and is WAY more maneuverable. Not to mention the fact that it is only 29 pounds (at least that is what the mfg. says in the literature). My only complaint is in tracking and foot room. In a stiff quartering tailwind the Vagabond will "spin out" without a lot of effort to keep it going straight. I finally broke down and added a very small fixed fin at the aft end. Very small, and fixed the tracking problems. I have no idea what to do with my size 13 feet, but I will live with it somehow. If it had more foot room it would be a 10.