Submitted: 08-20-2001 by yooperchic
I love this boat! I violated the cardinal rule of kayak buying by purchasing this boat without paddling it first, based on my research and paddling of other boats. I was looking for a smaller volume boat with a skeg, and the overall shape and dimensions as well as hull configuration of the Slipstream seemed to be just what I was looking for. Luckily, I was right! It tracks beautifully, though in a strong side wind it has a tendency to weathercock somewhat without the skeg. With the skeg down it is rock solid on line. It also edges and turns amazingly well considering my "developing" skills; and rolls with ease. In fact, the first time I righted myself in this boat I used way too much effort and did a complete 360! You barely need to flick the paddle, a little hip snap, and you're up. A nice low deck behind the cockpit helps considerably. I am 5' 7", 135 lbs., and the fit is excellent, though I (my boat, that is) could probably use a bit of padding at the hip braces. Other niceties; the backband gives enough support without getting in the way, a tow line is included, and I like the artsy decal on each side of the bow. I would recommend this kayak to any smaller paddler who wanted a responsive (feels a little "twitchy" at first) boat that also tracks well and is beautiful to boot.

Botetourt County Tourism: