Submitted: 08-16-2001 by jerseydevil

I bought a Zydeco last spring to explore shallow tributaries of our four Pine Barrens rivers (Mullica, Batsto, Wading. and Oswego). Its 35 lb. weight and 9'2" length were a real advantage when I had to portage over sluice gates for cranberry bogs. blow-downs and debris. You can tuck it under one arm! It is surprisingly fast for a short kayak and tracks admirably. This is a very maneuverable boat, similar to Dagger whitewater types. I've rented Old Town Otters for use in the Barrens, but the Zydeco is roomier (due to the elevated hump). The Dagger spray skirt worked fine for me. I get more comments on the colors--I bought a red/green swirl deck with a teal underside--few kayak manufacturers put as much thought into the design as Dagger does. I am 6'2" and 210 lbs and I can slip into this little Zydeco with ease. With my weight I can traverse 3-4" shallows and not run aground. I give it a 9 only because the styrofoam floats aft and stern shedded for a few weeks when I first used it. In all other respects an awesome kayak!