Submitted: 08-07-2001 by MH

I was looking for my first boat and after looking at several styles had the Hula has one of my two final selections. I liked that it was small and light and very easy to transport. I would be using it primarily for wave surfing. A local dealer (T.I. Kayaks in Ocean City, NJ) allowed me to demo the boat twice. The first day the waves were not big but because the Hula was smaller than some others you could still catch some decent rides on less than huge waves. The second day the surf was somewhat choppy. I had trouble getting the boat comfortably throough the Breaks without tipping. Once I got out there and tried to ride the bigger ones in it was not tremendously easy. I caught a few perfectly and even though only a novice was still able to cut back and forth a little (I had thigh straps which helped). With practice I think the Hula would be a great surf boat but I was looking for something a little easier and selected a Frenzy instead because it is more versatile and can still ride the surf with more stability and is much less "tippy". Bottom line, if its your first boat, no matter what you may think, the Frenzy is a great choice because it is so stable. I will consider the Hula as my next affordable boat to surf, but not for a total beginner like me.