Submitted: 08-06-2001 by MH

The Frenzy is my first boat. A local kayak dealer (T.I. Kayaks, Ocean City, NJ) allowed me to demo several boats over two days. I had my choices down to a Frenzy or an Islander Hula. I will be primarily wave surfing. The Hula is smaller and lighter. On one of the days the surf was pretty tame and the Hula worked great. Even as a beginner I was able to cut back and forth a little. The second day the surf was bigger and choppy. I had trouble getting the Hula through the breakers without tipping. Once I started to ride in the waves the Hula would go sideways and I couldn't control it at all. The Frenzy on the other hand is rock solid stable and still pretty managable in the surf. Felt MUCH more comfortable and had NO PROBLEM getting through the breakers in the Frenzy. Once out there could ride the waves and still cut back and forth. Also, tracks very good and can use it for fitness, either in the ocean or bay. Bottom Line: The Frenzy is the best boat for a beginner that I have found.