Submitted: 08-03-2001 by Konga Man

I've had my Royalex Rendezvous for about 5 months, and I would echo Al's comments about its river running capabilities. I've taken it on several multi-day trips, and I can fit every bit of my gear in below the gunnels - and I don't travel light. For the pool and drop rivers that I run (Greenbrier, New, etc.) it's got a great combination of tracking and maneuverability, and it's dry through the waves, even with a full load.

The only drawback is the trim of the boat. As others suggest, it does seem to be a bit bow-heavy. It's not as much of an issue for me, because I travel loaded and just shift gear around, but if you're running empty you have to make sure you're back in the seat and sitting up straight (not leaning forward) or kneeling with your butt on the seat as opposed to resting against the front edge.

That small complaint aside, I have yet to see a better boat for my purposes. I had a chance to compare it with an MR Guide on a recent trip. The Guide turns more easily and seems to have a little shallower draft, but the Rendezvous tracks better, is faster, hauls more gear, is drier, and has a bigger cockpit (which we long-legged people like).

All in all, if you want a solo river runner, I'd say buy a Rendezvous.