Submitted: 08-02-2001 by jackgilman

This is the first boat I built, and for a beginner it was a pleasure. The instructions and plans were clear and understandable; if I had any questions I e-mailed CLC and had an answer the next day. Great support. It is a fine looking boat, 18 ft long with a fairly narrow beam. Plenty of room inside, but you need to make sure your seat is comfortable. I bought the Creature Comfort seat and it just doesn't work for me. I needed to install thigh braces too. The boat swallows up gear and I have done several multi-day trips with it. I love the look of the multi chine hull. The lines are graceful and sophisticated. The main problem with this boat is that it tracks too well. It is quite stiff to turn even with a lot of lean. Not a great boat for marshes! But if you load it up it will paddle effortlessly all day. Very efficient, great hull speed. More than I care to go. With the thigh braces it rolls quite easily. The hatches are surprisingly dry. I also put full deck lines on mine and this makes the boat safer as well as better looking. This boat is not my 1st choice for a day boat, but for camping trips it's great. You'll get a lot of compliments on its looks too.