Submitted: 07-30-2001 by g2debacher

We've had our Synergy for three seasons. Set up with a triple saddle, it is cranky about tracking when paddled tandem, but is otherwise fairly dry and well-behaved. I plan to correct the tracking problem by moving the rear seat back somewhat. This will also let me pull emergency crossdraws without decapitating my partner. The surprise about this boat is that it is a great solo camping cruiser on rivers with a mixture of rapids and flatwater. Paddled solo, it accelerates and tracks fairly well, yet can carry 150 pounds of gear without sacrificing much performance in rapids. I was totally pleased with the boat on a six night expedition on the San Juan. It was quite controllable even in strong winds. And it was easy to spin for camera shots back upstream. If you plan to paddle tandem more than solo, the Dagger Caption would be a better whitewater boat, but the narrow Synergy is much faster and more versatile. Mad River no longer actively markets the Synergy. They say they sold to few, but I know of at least three purchased in north Georgia. Mad River may still be willing to construct Synergies on special request.

American Traders: