Submitted: 07-30-2001 by John C.

A previous reviewer stated, "The Loon can warp-mine has a 2' long slight indentation. I discovered the store where I bought it from didn't want anything to know about repair or replacement-I will never buy from them again."

All plastic boats will dent, warp, or oil can if improperly stored on the keel or tightened too tightly in the car especially on the foam blocks. Using saddles that only contact the hull at the chines allow stability on the rack and virtually eliminate the possibility of oil canning. Had my Loon 138 and Dagger Zydeco on top of my van for three weeks this winter during a Florida trip this year, without the evidence of any denting even though one boat or the other was often on the rack for several days at a time. Without having to over tighten the tie downs the boats were extremely stable even at 75MPH. The Loon is actually less prone to denting than other boats I have owned by Perception, Walden, Hydra, and Dagger. Always store the boats on their side or end and never on the keel. Check the keel line when accepting the boat from a dealer, get it out of the shipping bag. If they've stored the boats in a pile with the keel across another boat(I've seen this)a new boat may be warped or dented as you take it out the door. Over tightening on v foam blocks can cause dents before you even get home.

Now the reason for this review, if your boat is dented there are several possible cures, best results as soon as dent is found. Turn boat upside down on a warm sunny day, often minor dents that haven't been left to set will often cure them self. Stubborn dents can often be urged along with a hairdryer in cool weather. For real stubborn dents in the cockpit area you can use a firing strip (1X3) whose length is several inches wider than the cockpit rim. Measure the distance to the center of the keel, estimate the depth of the dent+1/2 inch and cut another piece to the total of the two measurements and wedge into the center of the dent at the keel line. This should cause the dent to bulge slightly and follow directions above for minor dents. Sorry for the long winded post, but this problem has been brought up several times. BYW the Loon is my favorite of the 4 boats I currently own, used for wildlife photography, camping, fishing, and just to get on the water to paddle. If they come out with a 138 Elite, like they have with the 111, at about 40 pounds I'll probably sell of a couple of my boats. At nearly 60#s with rudder and other rigging I've added, the weight of the 138 is my only real complaint that wouldn't allow a 10 rating.

Pelican Intl.: