Submitted: 05-17-1999 by JLK

Use the Strike strictly as a surf kayak. Wave ride at San Onofre State Park in North San Diego County, CA. Graduated from a Wilderness Systems Riot. Boat handles well in most surf conditions. Have surfed in waves too small for board surfers and conditions that border on large...6'+...which is a fairly big day for So. Cal. Until it gets large, I go without the fins. Once it gets say over 5', time to drop in a fin to keep the boat from spinning out of the face of the wave. Without the fin, I'm able to crank some fairly serious turns. The boat drains very well when the cockpit is filled with H2O. I use thigh straps and a backrest on smaller days but ditch the backrest on big days...it definitely gets in the way when reentering after going verticle. I rigged a handle that fits the front eyelet (new models come with one) to grab if I'm out of the boat and I need to hold on through the white water. Trying to grab the thigh brace will darn near rip your arm off when the white water hits the kayak. One big negative is that the boat takes on a fair amount of water through the fixtures. As time goes on, the fixtures become quite loose and thus leak even more. Also, the plastic hardware will break leaving the thigh or back rest flapping. I have replaced three and now have gone over to chrome. The seat area can be enhanced by adding a butt pad. All in all, this has been a very fun boat.

Sea Specs: