Submitted: 07-18-2001 by Spauld

This is the 4th kayak I have owned and certainly the most advanced of the 4. As far as performance this boat is a blast to paddle. I have the Cape Horn 15 so it's not a lightning bolt, but it is still much quicker than anything else I have owned. Part of this is due to the fact that the other boats were much more 'recreational' in form. In comparing it directly with my Old Town Nantucket.... there really IS no comparison. The Nantucket is like paddling a 5-gallon bucket compared to the Cape Horn. On the other hand, if you are looking to carry gear, you will have to leave a few of those 'luxury items' at home as the Cape Horn's design is more in tune with speed than capacity. With it's multi chined hull, this boat will actually respond to a lean and turn on a dime. I have yet to really need the rudder. I am quite please with almost everything about the boat. The only reason I rate it at an 8 rather than a 10 has more to do with construction than anything else. The polyethylene could be thicker. I find the Cape Horn, like so many other boats on the market, to be quite flimsy. I left the boat on my kayak cart in the hot sun one day for only about an hour before finding it had formed a huge dent where it had been in contact with the cart..... most discouraging. In the Nantucket's defense, Old Town has the stiffest and thickest hulls on the market. In short, the Cape Horn 15 is a fun boat to paddle & you'll look good paddling it. On the down side it does not hold a giant stash of gear (at least the 15 does not), and if you strap it to your roof rack to tightly on a hot day, you'll spend the first hour or two of your outing trying to get the dent out of the bottom of your boat!

NRS: