Submitted: 07-10-2001 by Tom

I bought 138 in May, 2001 and I returned it recently to dealer after discovering that the hull has bad warp. Took a while to see it - at first I thought that boat was weathercocking and tried to move the seat around (BTW seat is mounted on aluminum rails and held in place by plastic screws - they do not work at all - I ended up buying some plumbing metal pipe joints and fitting them in). But 4th was fairly windless so after paddling on the right most of the day I gave the hull close inspection and it was asymmetric (!!)

Would I buy the boat again ? - it depends - after I returned it I bought Perception Carolina. Here is why - being a beginner I was looking for a boat that would allow me to graduate slowly from lake paddling to easier coastal touring (on the Gulf). Initially I wanted to do it in two steps - buy Loon - keep it until next Spring then get more advanced boat. Well soon I realized that Loon (being perfectly nice recreational kayak) will not allow me to learn quickly enough.

All that said I think that I would still recommend the boat for sbdy that does fishing, birding or wildlife photography. It is rock solid stable, very stiff (Polylink 3) and with roomy cockpit so it is easy to take a dog or a kid or fishing gears onboard. If you want to do a 2day trip then I guess it will still be alright - although you will need to add some floatation bags and some deck rigging (it does not have much of it).

I bought a half-sprayskirt for it and it was OK for keeping things but was not much of protection from waves. Seat is OK for fishing etc - rather high - I considered it pretty comfy altho after 7hrs my legs were going to sleep so I would probably have to invest in some seat padding.

If you are a beginner like me and want to eventually go to sea kayaking then I would advise you to look at Carolina. If you want a safe and stable boat for weekend cruising then Loon 138 maybe for you (but make sure you check the hull when you buy it).

Botetourt County Tourism: