Submitted: 07-10-2001 by gibsonra
This is my first higher performance kayak. I have paddled the Old Town 138s and 111s and the Alto was a big step up. I bought one new for $500 and loved it. I then found a used one for about the same price and bought it. My girl and I paddle them on local lakes and coastal areas. They are exactly what we need. I can't imagine a better package. It would be nice to have a forward bulkhead and hatch but for day trips ours are fine. We wanted boats under 23 inches wide and less that 16 feet. The Alto is one of the few that meets these requirements. I also found it easy to roll. I came right up on my first attempt and it was my first try in almost 20 years. We have a rudder on one and it is a nice feature. It allows the paddler to relax a little and gives you some control during a glide. Leaning gives some control but the rudder is a nice feature for the lazy paddler. In short, buy it if you find it for under $800. You will not regret it.

Freedom Hawk Kayaks: