Submitted: 07-06-2001 by SD Roberts

Last year I started kayaking with a friend (using his plastic Sea Lion). After the first time out, I was hooked. On our 2nd trip he let me try his Gulfstream. What a difference!!!! It was like it was custom made for me. It fit me like a glove and handled beautifully. Now, not only was I hooked on the sport, but I had my eyes on a more expensive boat. But, I had to have a Gulfstream.

In Feb. of this year I was able to get my hands on a used Gulfstream that has changed hands many times and has obviously had some repairs. It still doesn't leak (including the hatches) and it handles like it just came off the shelf. I had it out this week in 20mph winds and 2' seas, and it tracked like I was on a lake. I was told that I might have trouble rolling this boat because of its width and the high rear deck (being an older Gulfstream). But, I was rolling it (after some instruction) on my 4th time in a kayak.

I am 6'5" 220lbs and I still have some extra padding in the knee braces. I like the storage capacity and I prefer the skeg over a rudder. I love this boat!!!!