Submitted: 07-02-2001 by W. Callahan

My wife and I recently purchased a Coleman Ram-X 15 new for $240.00 at a local sporting goods chain (I think they were being closed-out because the new Coleman canoes are now made by Pelican, Int'l and the Ram-X line is being discontinued). At any rate, we were very pleased with the price, and even moreso with the Ram-X 15's performance on the water.

We have taken both our boys (18 mos and 3 years old) out for extended trips on Mission Bay (San Diego, CA), and the boat has performed beyond our expectations. It is stable, tracks well, easy to paddle, and surprisingly fast. For those familiar with Mission Bay, you know how choppy and wake-filled it can be on the weekends (with all the Jet-skis and ski-boats). We cut across several wakes with no problems, it was actually fun! The boys do fine in it, with each one sitting in front of my wife and I. That is, one seated in front of the stern seat, and one in front of the bow seat. We plan to take it camping on a local lake later this season.

Definately a good choice for families with young children, and also a good first canoe. Certainly a bargain for under $300.00. I would also say that it is a better value than a similar Old Town sporting canoe, which are as much as three times the price of the Coleman. Although the Old Towns are constructed of multi-ply poly/foam/poly, I still don't think they are worth the significant increase in price.