Submitted: 06-26-2001 by ladams

I am an experienced paddler, but in touring canoes, on all kinds of waters. I wanted to go to a kayak for coastal paddling , singlehanded. Test paddled an Inukshuk last year, and loved it! Was amazed by the initial stability...the only kayak I had paddled previously was a Perception Eclipse, which had felt very tender at first. I have to admit I wasn't in the Inukshuk all that long, and only in a quiet canal, so performance was not thoroughly tested. But what I DID see was this: The boat had great secondary stability, too. It did not accelerate quickly but seemed to be fast once it got going. It required a deal of space to turn...probably because of the lack of rocke that I like so much for efficiency purposes. It carried well between stokes and handled easily.

The cockpit was easy to enter and exit...significant as I am 6'2" and 240lbs! It was VERY comfortable...seat, bracing, foot pegs, everything! The pegs are easy to adjust while underway, something I haven't seen in another boat, before or since. The rudder operated smoothly and easily...again not all that common.

Fit and finish are good, with a lot of features you wouldn't expect of an inexpensive boat. I can't tell you how dry she may be, but I suspect that won't be a problem. But I didn't care for her looks...she just didn't have that sleek, seagoing appearance...mt impression only. Yours may be different. And she didn't feel lively to me. A solid, dependable boat, but not exciting. I may have made a mistake, but I passed her up in favor of the more lively Eclipse. Just a matter of personal priorities. I may just get back to her someday...