Submitted: 06-21-2001 by jmurphyjohnson

I purchased my America Basic Model about a month ago, and found it to be a great boat. I am 6'6" tall and weigh 265lbs, and the only adjustment was to move the keeper foot brace track forward by 6" and I only had to drill one new hole on each side. I chose the Basic instead of the Expedition model so it can hold more camping gear. It is almost impossible to turn the boat over, and in fact it begins to take on water long before it gets anywhere near flipping. I don't even use the spray skirt that I bought, and have been in water with a lot of boat traffic and wake/waves (Although I would in cold conditions to repel paddle drips mostly) I found that it tracks perfectly straight with no skeg or rudder, and turning it is a breeze after a kayak lesson. I would suggest the boat to any taller boaters looking for a less expensive boat.

Backwater Paddle Company: