Submitted: 06-06-2001 by bkm

I must be the only short guy (5'7" 175)to have purchased one of these plastic aircraft carriers. I considered a standard Sealution II, but I'd heard the small volumed bow would purl. Well nothing purls this log.

Needless to say, when I go over, I just pop out. Got it as my first sea kayak four years ago. The ginormous rudder should have been the obvious indicator of it's tracking performance, which is nil when the rudder is up. Loaded, unloaded, flat water, four foot seas, it wants to go anywhere but straight. The problem abated a little when I altered trim by moving the seat back two inches. Rudder down and no worries. The rudder is so huge, it must have multiplier effect when it's up and the wind is abeam.

The boat pierces through the surf zone well, must me all that weight. Trying to turn it in the surf zone is one of those experiences I will not soon forget and never repeat. It is very tough however. People like it's appearance. It's seat is comfortable. It holds its speed well, if you can keep from jinking the rudder too much. I'm going to keep it as a freighter, for that extended cruise I haven't taken yet.

Got a Arctic Tern 14 for what I really do, which is day trips in areas with surf zones. What a difference 35 pounds weight savings and a chine hull makes. The AT14 made me realize I actually do have some decent kayaking skills. It's beautiful and light and has a sophisticated hull. Now I even look down my nose at the fiberglass fatties with their $3,000 price tags and droll serial numbers.

Sealline: